I just began the book "Divergent" by Veronica Roth, Beatrice the main character lives in a futuristic word where people are equal and when they are fifteen are given a test that will determine what faction she will be put into. There are few factions. There are Dauntless, Erudite, Amity, Candor, and Abnegation. There are also faction-less which are people with no factions and who live on the street and also Divergent who have more then one faction. I will not say what faction Beatrice is because I don't want to spoil anything.
During the test she is virtually placed in a room and in front of her is a knife and cheese. A loud voice tells her to choose. She says no ad just crosses her arms. Then a wild dog comes out and its slowly coming up to her with sharp teeth out. She realizes why either object would have been handy but doesn't move or run from the dog. Then a little girl appears and the dog is about to pounce on the girl when she jumps on the dog in a effort to save her.
I would like to talk about what I would have chosen if I was in her position. first off when I was in the room having to choose between cheese and a knife I would have immediately gone for the knife. I would have done so because I would be afraid of the unknown and what was going to happen next. So I would think to myself would I feel safer with a knife as long as my forearm or a block of cheese. The answer for me would be the knife.
On the other hand Some people might think that the knife is scary or not safe and would take the cheese because it makes them feel safer and away from violence. Maybe this person simply likes cheese and were hungry. Maybe cheese is something that is a good memory of yours and make you feel happy so you picked it.
I want to know your opinions on which one you would choose without knowing what lied ahead btu what i really want to know is if you new that after you choose there would be a wild dog there after would that change what you would pick and why?
I would choose the knife just for the safety. I agree i wouldnt know what to expect in the challenge so i would want to be at least a little protection. I kind of disagree with your opinion on why people would choose the cheese because i dont think people would be worrying about liking cheese in this situation.
ReplyDeleterespond soon
I definitely would have gone for the knife just as you said. I would like the knife for the protection and the cheese wouldn't help me much because i couldn't save the cheese for later because it would spoil eventually. Also if i gave the cheese to the dog it would keep them busy for a little bit but they would want more and they come back to me and harass me for more food.
ReplyDelete