In the book “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak It takes place
during the World War I and World War II. In this time many people, including
the main character Liesel, aren’t treated fairly compared to Germans and Nazis.
People hated by Nazis like Jews were not supposed to, in the opinion of the
Nazis, do things like learn, read, practice their religion, or even be
themselves. This being many children did not know how to read and were not
being taught by anybody. Liesel is a little girl who has never even read a book
before and has many questions that should be answered but nobody can help here
learn the answers of life.
As I read through the beginning of the book I realized that
constantly Liesel is asking many questions.
And I know what you’re thinking. You think they are the common little
kid questions that don’t mean anything but every time you answer they respond
in “why?” making you keep explaining and explaining until you don’t even know
what you’re talking about anymore. But no, these questions do relate to the
word “why?” a lot but they are not the questions that little girls should need
to know or need to worry about. For example, Liesel asked the question, “What’s
a Communist?” Communist is a
society in which all property is publicly owned and each person works and is
paid according to their abilities and needs. Why would a little kid be asking a
question like this? Another example when Liesel was given to another family
because her parents couldn’t take care of her she asked, “If her mother loved
her, why leave her on someone else’s doorstep? Why? Why? Why? A little kid
should not be have to be left by their parents that love them because things
are getting hard (because of the war).
I can relate this to my life and probably every kid’s life
ever born. When growing up you always ask thousands of questions. The questions
don’t have meaning and don’t matter to us at all but when we are young and
don’t know about anything yet there are so many questions in are head that we
don’t understand that we need to tell a parent or guardian all of them. I
remember when I was little asking why it rained. I didn’t really care why it
rains but I didn’t understand it and when we look at parents we look at them as
if the know everything. After she explaining to me that it raining because
water comes from the sky I asked why? Then my mom explained how the water came
from clouds. I responded again with why and she explained how water came from
the earth and turned into the clouds and I continued asking why until my mother
didn’t even know how or why. The main point is children should be asking adults
why it rains, why there is day and night, and why the sky is blue they should
have to worry and wonder about communism or orphanage and their parents leaving
them.
I read this book two year ago and I think that the reason Liesel is asking all of these sophisticated questions about topics that are some what controversial is because she lives in the time and place where she would need to know about this stuff. In your childhood you didn't have to know about all of these major issues because you lived in Park Slope, not Nazi Germany.
ReplyDeleteI haven't read this book before, but I do know a bit about it...
ReplyDeleteBecause of your post! I did enjoy the part at the end about how it can relate to your life, but I do have to agree with Nils on the childhood questions, I never really asked that stuff too much, I mostly assumed someone would just tell me eventually. Great post!!!
-drat