Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Choices


I an old post I made “Being Who You Really Are” I talk about how everybody is equal and no matter who you are, it is ok to be you. I talked about how whoever you are nobody can take that away from you and you have a choice in what and where you go in life. However in the book “Catching Fire” by Suzanne Collins something shocked me and made me feel horrible. Katniss thinks to her self “I will never have a life with Gale, even if I wanted to. I will never be aloud to live alone. I will have to be forever in love with Peeta. The capital will insist on it.”

1st of all what I like the author did was separate the sentence “The capital will insist on it” and make it its own sentence because it makes it very powerful and scary.  However back to the topic, I think that it is horrible that she is being tortured by this for all of her life and will never get to choose what she, truly, wants to do. Her life is being completely controlled by the capital and she has no choice in what she gets to do. If you read through the series everything that happens to her is done by the capital and she has no choice. She is forced into the hunger games. She doesn’t want Peeta to die because she sort of has a love thing between Peeta and Gale. So she managed to save Peeta out of the hunger games. But by doing this the capital is angered and make it so she and Peeta must be in love forever even though this is not what she really wants.

I think she can’t even decide what she wants. If she were to choose she would go with three different options in my opinion. She would marry Gale and have kids with Gale, Marry Peeta and have kids with Peeta, or live alone and never have kids. I think the third option is the one she would pick. I think this because I don’t think she would ever be able to pick between Peeta and Gale and if she did pick she knows the other would be hurt badly with a broken heart. Also if she did marry that means that kids would follow and if she had kids they would most likely have to face the hunger games, which she would never want to happen.  This is why I think she would choose the third option because it avoids the most problem. I don’t think she would pick it because she wants it I think she would pick it because it makes other people less hurt. The only thing is that, she doesn’t have a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment